People are always looking for quick and easy ways of getting cash. While there are many places to cash a personal check near me, big-box retail stores with money centers are some of the closest. Walmart is known for lower prices than traditional grocery or department stores, making it a popular choice among budget-conscious shoppers. It is also a great option for check cashing. However, there is a lot to know regarding check cashing in Walmart and your local Walmart check cashing policies.
We will go over the requirements and some other important things to know about the Walmart cash center.
Does Walmart Cash Checks?
Walmart cash centers will cash personal checks and other types of checks up to the Walmart check cashing limit of $5,000. Walmart will not accept personal checks over $5,000 from May to December. Walmart will accept checks up to $7,500 from January to April. Fees range from $4 to a maximum fee of $8, depending on the check amount. You can cash a check at Walmart without a bank account.
To cash a check at Walmart, you will need valid ID, and have a preprinted check amount under the Walmart check cashing limits. Fees will apply. You can cash checks during the Walmart Money Center Hours of operation.
Walmart Check Cashing: Cashing Checks in Walmart
Below you will find the essential requirements regarding Walmart’s check cashing policy and what is necessary to cash a check at Walmart. While it may not be as convenient as instant online check cashing, Walmart still offers payday check cashing with hours open seven days a week.
What Types of Checks Does Walmart Cash?
Your local Walmart will cash many different types of checks. You will have to go to the Walmart money center during regular store hours for check cashing. Below you will find the common types of checks that Walmart will cash.
- SSI payments
- Unemployment payments
- Payroll checks
- Government checks
- Retirement distribution checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- Cashiers’ checks
- Certified checks
- Business checks
- 401(k) retirement checks
- Workers compensation payments
- Tax refunds
- MoneyGram Money Orders issued at a local Walmart
- Two-party personal checks (up to check cashing limit)
These are the most popular checks that are cashed at Walmart stores. If you have a personal check that you don’t see on this list above, you can contact your local Walmart and ask if your pre-printed check is accepted.
Checks Not Accepted at Local Walmart
A lot of people have questions about check cashing at Walmart. People want to know if Walmart cashes handwritten checks. Walmart does not accept handwritten checks in addition to many other types. It’s also unlikely you will be able to cash a check made in someone else’s name, so a credit union or bank might be a better option.
Some of the other types not accepted at Walmart for check cashing include:
- Government checks made out to third parties
- Third-party checks
- Non-endorsed checks
- Post-dated checks
- Personal checks made out to “Cash”
- Stale-dated checks over 180 days old
- Starter checks
- Two-party personal checks over $200
- Personal, blank, pre-printed, and temporary checks
These are the majority of checks not accepted at Walmart for personal check cashing.
How to Cash a Check in Walmart
It only takes less than 10 minutes to cash a check at your local Walmart. The only thing you’ll need is:
- Your government-issued ID (required)
- The check you want cashed (required
- The amount of the check (required)
Generally, cash or an alternate method for payment is recommended. You will see below why using Visa debit cards may make more sense for your situation than cash. This is similar to other places and policies such as 7-Eleven check cashing policy.
It’s straightforward to cash a personal check at Walmart. Simply follow the steps outlined below, and you will be on your way in no time!
Step 1: Check Walmart’s Check Cashing Policy
Before heading to Walmart, it’s important to review Walmart’s check cashing policy. You can find this information on their website or by calling your local store. Generally, they will cash payroll checks, government checks, tax refund checks, and more.
Step 2: Gather Required Identification for Walmart’s Check Cashing Verification Requirements
You will need some form of valid ID to cash a check. The requirements for cashing pre-printed checks, tax checks, cashier’s checks, and other checks are as follows:
- Two forms of identification are required to cash a check at Walmart. The first form of ID will not have a photo, while the second requires a picture.
- Valid driver’s license or state-issued non-driver’s ID for pre-printed checks, tax refund checks, cashier’s checks, and other types considered as valid sources by Walmart.
- One form of government ID with photo for payroll checks, social security checks, retirement check, and other types is considered a valid source by Walmart.
- Two forms of identification are required to cash a pre-printed check at Walmart. One will not have a picture, while the second requires a picture.
- Valid driver’s license or state-issued non-driver’s ID for personal government checks and other types considered as valid sources by Walmart.
Step 3: Head to the Customer Service Desk at the Walmart Money Center
Once you have your ID and check in hand, head to the customer service desk at your local Walmart store. Let them know that you’d like to cash a check.
For cashing checks at Walmart, the money center will also verify:
- The check is endorsed
- The check isn’t drawn on insufficient bank funds
- Issuing bank is valid
- The bank account number on the check is valid
- The checking account is valid and not attempting check fraud
- Routing number is accurate
Step 4: Pay the Check Cashing Fee
Walmart charges a small fee for check cashing services. The fee varies depending on the amount of the check but typically ranges from $4-$8.
Step 5: Receive Your Cash or Load onto a Walmart MoneyCard
After paying the fee, you’ll receive your cash immediately. Alternatively, you can choose to load the funds onto a Walmart MoneyCard for extra convenience.
Cashing your check at Walmart is an easy and hassle-free process that can save you time and effort. With their convenient hours and locations nationwide, it’s no wonder why so many people choose Walmart for their check cashing needs.
Do I Need My Own Bank Account To Cash a Check at Walmart?
No. You do not need a bank account in your name to cash a check at Walmart. Whether you have an account or not, the money center can settle checks on your behalf when you have what is required when cashing a check.
The checks Walmart cashes are straightforward, which is why you don’t need your own account. The money center representatives will verify the check’s validity and handle the rest. You can read the differences of checking vs. savings account if you are looking to open an account.
Walmart Check Cashing Fees
The fees for check cashing at Walmart vary based on the type of particular check.
Two-Party Personal Checks Cashing Fees
- Walmart will cash a two-party personal check up to a value of $200 max.
- The fee is a $6 maximum.
Pre-Printed Check Cashing Fees
- Walmart will cash a pre-printed check up to a value of $5,000 max year-round.
- Walmart will cash a check up to $7,500 from January to April to incorporate the tax season.
- Fees are $4 for a check up to $1,000
- Fees are $8 for checks between $1,001 – $5,000
- Walmart states to check with customer service for fees regarding checks higher than $5,000 during the January to April timeframe.
How Are My Funds Paid Out After Cashing a Check
There are several options for how to receive your funds when you cash checks.
You can receive your funds:
- In cash
- On a Walmart Money Card (a Visa debit card)
What Are the Fees for Walmart MoneyCard
If you elect to receive your check cashing funds through the Walmart MoneyCard, you should be aware of fees.
The maximum check cashing fee amounts will still be charged to you when you cash the check. However, according to the Walmart website, the reload fee is waived.
- Accepted at Walmart and Sam’s Club locations across the United States
- Reload fees are waived (this means you do not pay to load your card with checks)
- You don’t have to worry about debit card declined errors
- It can be used for retail shopping in store
- Don’t have to worry about an overdraft fee being charged
- 3% of your purchase price back when used on Walmart.com
- 2% of your purchase price back when used for gas purchases at Walmart stations or ones operated by Murphy USA
- 1% of your purchase price back at Walmart of Sam’s Club.
Note that current fees and cashback amounts can vary at any time.
Additionally, it’s also a good option for teenagers who don’t have their own bank accounts. Parents can load funds onto the card for them to use, and cash is instantly available. It is a great option for minors to have cash when needed.
What Methods Are Not Allowed by Walmart to Cash a Check?
Walmart does not cash:
- Checks issued by businesses, government agencies, and corporations.
- Personal checks on which the signature has been cut off.
- Cashiers check with a value of $3,000 or more. You can, however, purchase a cashier’s check for that amount at Walmart if you wish to do so.
- Money orders of any kind with an amount greater than $1,000.00. Look into money orders near me if you need other options.
Walmart Check Cashing Hours
You can only cash personal checks at Walmart during the hours of operation.
- Monday to Saturday 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- Sunday 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
Walmart stops cashing checks at 8 PM Monday through Saturday and 6 PM Sunday.
If you no longer need to cash your check, simply follow the steps how to void a check and rest at ease.
It is highly recommended that you should check with your local store or Walmart website before you visit to make sure they are cashing checks. It’s always a good idea to make sure the one you visit will be open during the hours you need it.
Walmart Stimulus Check Cashing Policy
If you are looking for an option to cash your stimulus check at Walmart, you’re in luck! Walmart cashes government checks up to $5,000 plus the applicable check cashing fee amounts mentioned above.
If your stimulus check isn’t enough to meet your financial needs and you are unemployed, you have options. There are many guaranteed loans for unemployed individuals that can assist you to meet your bills.
Alternative Ways to Cash Personal Checks
While Walmart can be a great option for cashing personal checks, there are other options as well.
- PayPal: This is a great option for cashing checks. You can follow our step-by-step process on how to use Ingo Money for check cashing in PayPal for details.
- Cash Advance: For many people who need money quickly or do not have funds readily available, borrowing against your credit card can sometimes be a good way to get the money you need for an emergency.
- Check Cashing Stores: If neither Walmart nor PayPal are viable options for cashing your check, then it may be necessary to visit a check cashing location that can provide the service.
- Direct Deposit: If you have a regular payroll check, signing up for EFTPS is a free way to have your check deposited directly into your bank account. Popular bank direct deposit times make your cash available almost instantly.
- Check Cashing Apps: There are many check cashing apps that don’t use Ingo Money for check cashing that you can look into.
Check Cashing in Walmart FAQs:
Can Walmart Refuse to Cash a Check?
Yes, if check fraud is suspected or another unusual activity occurs, Walmart may refuse to cash a check.
Does Walmart Cash Payday Checks?
Yes, Walmart does cash payday checks. The maximum amount a check can be is $1,000.00, and the customer must have proper identification to cash them.
How Long Does Walmart Take to Cash a Check?
Walmart cashes personal checks within 2 hours if they are cashed during business hours. Checks may not be cashed on Sundays.
Are Walmart Moneycard Checks Cashed?
Yes, Walmart will cash money orders that Green Dot issues. Money orders must be less than $1,000 in value, and the cardholder must have proper identification to cash them. Only cashing Green Dot issues money orders helps prevent money order scams and fraud from occurring.
Cashing a Check in Walmart Summary
Walmart offers a cashing service that allows you to cash checks for a maximum fee. However, before you can cash your check at Walmart, you have to be sure that they will cash the checks and what types of checks they will cash. You can also have your cash put onto a Visa debit card to be used in-store if that’s a better option for you.
The checkout process is straightforward if you have the requirements outlined above.