This post may contain affiliate links to products that I recommend and I may earn money or products from companies mentioned in this post. Please check out my disclosure page for more details.
If you want to know the best things to sell on eBay, you have come to the right resource. You may be an avid seller or just someone who is curious about what are the top selling items that sell well. Either way, these top selling tips for selling on eBay will help.
The ecommerce site eBay is one of the largest websites in the world and provides endless opportunities for sellers of all levels. Starting an eBay business is one of the creative ways to make money from home.
In this article, we will discuss what the best items to sell on eBay are as well as how you can make a living from selling these products online. If you follow these steps and tips below for selling on eBay, then your sales should increase dramatically.
What You Need to Start Selling on eBay
Before you can start making full time income selling items on eBay, you should get some common supplies ready. There are some basic and mainstream things you will need to have in order to start selling on eBay. These are considered necessities if you want to sell on eBay as a business for full time income.
If you are only planning on selling a few times per year, then this list will not apply to you and can be skipped over.
However, if you want to make good money (and more than just an occasional sale here and there), these ecommerce business accessories could help make it easier for you to do so!
Items Needed to Start Selling on eBay:
- Computers and Internet connection
- Postage Scale: To weigh the packages that you mail
- A printer: To print off your shipping labels and package inserts
- Packing tape : To seal your packages
- Bubble wrap: To protect fragile items in the box
- Sales tax number or permit to start full time eBay selling
- Label maker (optional): Labels or free address labels
- eBay Account: If you already have an account, then great! Just login to your eBay homepage and start selling. However, if you don’t have one yet, it’s easy enough to create a free account by going to eBay.com
- Listing Pictures or Videos: When listing items for sale on eBay there are two important pictures that must be provided – the main picture of the product itself as well as a photo of the actual package in which it will arrive when purchased (this is required). Other photos can also help show different angles or features of the item, but these other shots should only supplement those mentioned above.
- Listing Description: This is an important part for convincing shoppers that they need this particular purchase – so take some time crafting something meaningful! A good rule of thumb is not to exceed 135 words without adding bullet points or numbered headings. Be sure to include the make, model or type of product as well.
Best Things to Sell on eBay for Profit
If you are serious about how to build wealth from nothing and making money with eBay sales, you should know that there are certain top selling items you should focus your sales on. Some items that sell surprisingly well on eBay are antiques, vintage collectibles, and new products that are in high demand.
There is always a market for antiques on eBay. Antiques are top selling items on eBay. Sellers can take advantage of their nostalgic appeal to get them sold quickly. According to the Wall Street Journal, people who purchase these items “tend to be looking for something that’s old.” Antique furniture sets often sell well because they’re functional as well as stylish; buyers know they’ll have SOMETHING nice in their homes with this choice!
Vintage Clothing & Collectibles
Vintage clothing also tends to do well on eBay. If you’ve got some unique pieces or a brand from your grandmother or mother (or even yourself!), sell those clothes online too! Vintage clothing sales (even watches) have been in high demand according to the Wall Street Journal.
If you’ve got an old record collection that’s been sitting around your house, maybe it’s time to put them up for auction on eBay? You might be surprised by what some Beatles records can sell for!
Furniture Sets & Decorative Pieces
Doing well with furniture sets and decorative items is a no-brainer. There are plenty of buyers who want new pieces or unique additions to their homes,; even if they have to buy second hand!
This makes any vintage items easy sells because people know there will be something nice waiting at home when they get back from their trip. If you’re not sure where to start finding these goods, try visiting antique shops first.
Other types of vintage collectibles would include postcards, old coins, quarters in a roll, and stamps, antique maps, or books.
New products are considered top selling on eBay. The best part about these is that you don’t have to worry about what condition they’re in!
Some examples of new products that are top selling items would be computers and tablets, clothing, shoes, and jewelry. This means if you sell new products, chances are you can list them in “new” condition.
New video games and consoles are one of the best selling items on eBay. Video games do well because there’s always a large fan base who will buy them as soon as possible. When selling video games, take advantage of those early adopters!
As long as your prices for video games and consoles are reasonable, you can make top selling listings and create value for gamers.
You can also see how to start an online video game store online from your house.
The best way to make money selling on eBay is by selling popular brands or electronic items like Apple Air and Beats. Some of the eBay top selling items focus on brands. However, this is not an easy task and it will take some time to develop a solid reputation on the site.
Once you have developed a reputable seller rating, you can start to sell these brands with the confidence that you’re helping people who are looking for them. You can however make 100k as a sneaker reseller on eBay with certain steps.
The best thing about selling popular brands is that they often don’t need a lot of work – all it takes is some basic preparation and you can sell and ship right to the buyer’s door.
High-end items also do well on eBay, especially if they have been authenticated by the company or designer. Authentic Gucci sneakers from 2018 will always hold their value no matter when someone buys them in 2020.
Think outside the box too: fashion pieces such as jewelry, hats, watches, scarves and handbags are good sellers because people love buying new outfits without having to leave their homes. Just make sure your fashion pieces are in good condition and don’t forget to take a close-up photo of the item.
You’ll also need to include measurements such as size, height and width – this way your potential buyers know if it will fit them before they purchase it.
Sports equipment is another great thing to sell on eBay because you can give customers an awesome deal by purchasing items straight from wholesale sellers or larger retail stores.
For example, my friend sells Russell brand baseball gloves for $35 when they would normally cost up to $80 at other retailers! Selling sporting goods is a great way to make money online with no experience.
The best things about selling sporting goods are that you usually don’t have any issues getting rid of inventory quickly and offer really low prices with no middleman markup. One of the top selling items in this category is items like kid’s baseball shoes for baseball games.
You can pretty much sell anything on eBay and make cash. However, there are some things you can sell on eBay for a lot of profit. One example is things that have a hipper, more popular look.
Retro items can be profitable to sell on eBay because most people are hunting for the newest, trendiest items. This means that you can sell your old (toys, watches, video games, phones, video equipment) and outdated items at a higher price than usual because they have more of a novelty factor in comparison to what is popular currently.
You can achieve this by buying new products like clothing from stores like Forever 21 or H&M, wearing them once or twice before selling on eBay and then shooting photos with filters to make it look vintage-y.
For instance, I bought some 80s era Guess jeans brand for $20 and sold them on eBay for over $100! Be sure to not show any wear in the photo.
There are a lot of places to sell used clothes online for cash besides eBay.
It’s important to note that if you’re going after specific trends like health and beauty products, always check out their seasonality as these things change year-to-year (ex: now makeup brushes are all about “bristles”). That way you can be sure what’s in demand and what to stock up on.
Legos in Bulk
Selling Legos in bulk is one one of the best items to sell on eBay to make a profit on. Legos are excellent toy products to sell online. A lot of people sell Legos by the pound and it can be a great idea if you have the time to do so.
Just because these items aren’t practical doesn’t mean they won’t sell well on ebay! T-shirts with funny sayings or mugs that look like food (think hot coffee) all seem to get purchased easily online. Novelty gifts are some of the best things to sell on eBay. You may want to consider stocking up on some of these items on eBay when you find them on sale at your local Walmart or Target.
Drinkwell Pet Fountain
One of the more surprising items on eBay for sale has been a Drinkwell pet fountain. This type of product is usually bought by professional dog groomers or owners who have at least two dogs and want them all in one room but still able to be separated from each other when necessary.
However, there’s been an uptick in these items selling because some people with cats need multiple water bowls throughout their home. Check out the best rechargeable AA batteries as well.
The best thing to sell on eBay is a matter of personal preference and what you know will be in demand at any given moment. You can always try something new but chances are if it’s not already popular then you’ll get lucky getting rid of it off your hands for the amount you want!
Surprising Things That Sell Well on eBay During Covid
It’s true that certain categories have skyrocketed in popularity during Covid. People’s lives changed during the pandemic and so did the things sold on eBay during Covid as well.
Some of the surprising things that sell well on eBay during the pandemic are below:
Puzzles have been best selling items on eBay during Covid. With puzzles on the brain, shoppers have been finding all sorts of fun and challenging puzzles to keep their minds occupied with something other than the pandemic
Some popular puzzle categories are below:
- 1000 pieces (1000 piece) puzzle
- 1500 Pieces Puzzle: This is a very large puzzle that will keep you busy for hours! The best part is – it’s never ending so if you get stuck then just take a break and come back to it later! You can also assemble this as your own DIY project which gives added benefits for those who need some creative outlet or want to pass time in an entertaining way.
- 3000 Piece Puzzle: This is considered one of the most difficult jigsaw puzzles out there but offers tremendous skill in completing puzzles.
Puzzles have sold out at a lot of stores which is why so many people stuck at home have turned to eBay for their puzzle purchases. Their low price range makes them an eBay top item.
Sanitizers & Masks
Sanitizers & masks have been a surprise item that has sold well on eBay during the pandemic because people are fearful of being infected.
- N95 Masks
- This mask is more than just a fashion accessory; it’s a necessity for health and safety! These masks can be worn at home, in public spaces, or even when you’re traveling overseas to protect yourself from any pandemic symptoms that might arise.
- People take sanitizer with them everywhere, no matter where they are. These related items can be used to disinfect hands and surfaces from germs that could cause a pandemic.
- Disinfectant Wipes
- These wipes are designed to clean surfaces and kill germs. They can be used in the home, office or on-the-go for protection from pandemic symptoms that may arise from going out in public places.
Home Gym Equipment
Home gym equipment and accessories has had huge sales on eBay during COVID outbreaks, but it’s not just for those looking to stay healthy during pandemic periods. These items can be used by anyone who is trying to get in shape or want the convenience of working out at home without having to leave their living space. Home gym equipment creates exceptional value over a gym membership.
Some other types of top selling gym equipment that have sold well on eBay include weight sets, exercise machines or equipment like racks and benches.
- Weight Sets
- Weight sets are a popular eBay item for those looking to get into shape during pandemic periods as well as people who want convenience of working out in their homes without having to leave it.
- Workout Equipment
- This type of gym equipment includes weight sets, exercise machines or other items that can be used for workouts such as bench presses and racks. These types of items have also sold surprisingly well on eBay when COVID outbreaks occur because they allow the user to stay fit at home instead of travelling outside.
- Stretch Bands
- Getting toned while taking zoom calls has been a new routing for many work at home employees. Stretch bands have been a best selling accessories on eBay for people looking to get toned without having to leave their homes.
- Yoga Mat
- This type of related item has sold surprisingly well on eBay for individuals who are working from home and need a space that is separate from the rest of the house where they can do stretching exercises or yoga.
- Water Bottle with Filter
- Due to COVID outbreaks, there’s been a spike in demand for water bottles that have filters built into them so as not expose oneself to hazardous material when drinking out of it at work or home.
A surprising amount of these types of items have sold on eBay because many companies will give you free filtered water but only if you bring your own bottle. This is a much more economical choice than buying one every time.
Home Office Equipment
As a result of the pandemic, many employees have had to create home offices where they live. Home office equipment has been a surprise item that has sold well on eBay.
This is largely due to the fact that many companies are being more lenient about allowing employees to work remotely.
Some types of home office equipment sold on eBay include:
- a desk and chair
- lamps for the work area
- surge protectors that are compatible with home office needs like laptops, tablets, cameras, printers etc.
- ergonomic chairs to provide comfort while working from home as well as being more economical than buying one every time you’re required to come into the office.
Selling home office equipment and accessories is a great way how to make money as a teenager if you are legally old enough to do so.
Headsets for Video Conferences
Audio headsets have also had great sales on eBay. Headsets are a great way to have hands-free communication and make great phone accessories.
There’s also headsets that are compatible with video conferencing, and it doesn’t matter if they’re used or new; people just want them because of their convenience.
Electronics such as headsets, conferencing equipment, and even selling used TVs for cash are popular options on eBay.
Books have been popular on eBay during the pandemic. Book best sellers include anything from textbooks to the latest novel. With people being in lockdown for over a year, they have come to take up reading more. Some topics include cooking, gardening and other topics. Book listings are popular items online to sell.
The best part is the books can be used or new; people just want them because they’re convenient to have around in case of an emergency. Either way, they are still considered best selling.
Phone Chargers & Phone Accessories
With multiple people in a household there all day working or going to virtual school, phone chargers have been in heavy use. They have been a great eBay seller because there are so many types of phone chargers.
Mobile phone chargers are best selling items. Some products to sell for phone accessories include power cords for iPhone, Android and other brands. The options to charge up mobile phones have been limited during the pandemic, which has led people into buying these items in bulk on eBay.
You could open an eBay storefront and just focus on phone chargers and mobile accessories. Selling on eBay is one of the best strategies how to build wealth from nothing with additional income.
People are painting and painting supplies are one of the best things to sell on eBay for profit during the pandemic because everyone has been painting their houses and offices.
Best sellers include paint in any color, rollers, brushes you name it- people have been buying them all up on eBay since they have been spending so much time at home.
Paint is a commodity that’s in demand so now is your chance to make some money before everyone else knows about how great these items are at making profit on eBay.
Where to Get Items to Sell on eBay?
If you are looking to make a living selling items on eBay, you have to make sure that there is enough profit made with every sale. You need to focus on top selling and best selling categories for profit. That means that you need to know where to get items that will sell for a high price. There is even a market for recycling cardboard for money on eBay.
I highly recommend going through estate sales, auctions and getting good deals from people who want quick cash in their hands as soon as possible.
When I say “quick cash” what I mean is these are the types of sellers that don’t care about shipping costs or anything- they just want the money in hand now so you can negotiate prices with them and offer them more than they would make if they tried selling on eBay themselves.
If eBay is your only income be sure to follow budgeting for the self-employed and reduced-income family so your household dollars will stretch.
Some other great sources: garage sales, craigslist, local classified ads, pawn shops etc. Any place where there are people trying to get rid of things quickly means higher profit margins when it comes time for reselling!
Where to Find Free Things to Sell on eBay
While the above are great ideas where to get items to sell, the best way to maximize your profit on eBay is to sell things that you can get for free. Finding items for free to sell on eBay is tough, but it’s not impossible. There are things to sell on eBay that are free if you know where to look.
Below are some great ideas for places to check out.
Garage Sales and Flea Markets
You can find free items at garage sales and flea markets by asking the sellers for anything they want to get rid of such as shoes, computers, watches, or tablets.
Craigslist has a “free” section that you can search for free items. Contact the owner and negotiate a time to pick up their stuff.
The Freecycle site is a great resource to search and find things that people want to give away for free! You just have to contact the right person who is giving it away and ask them if they are willing. They may say yes, or they might not be able; either way you’ll never know unless you try!
Online Giveaway Sites
Giveaways sites will let you search and enter contests where the prize could be anything from cash prizes, electronics, cameras, etc., which means there’s a good chance of getting something worth selling on eBay in one of these giveaways (and usually at no cost!).
It’s well worth checking out some giveaways by going through their terms and conditions before entering.
Beauty Supply Stores
Ask for older products that may be approaching their expiration date. Best beauty shops are ones where they sell makeup, powders, and other related products.
Offer a Free Junk Pickup Service
You can get a lot of free items by offering free mobile pickup of people’s unwanted stuff. Sell these items on eBay and make a full-time living just by collecting people’s unwanted junk! You don’t have to search because customers are coming to you.
Best Practices for Selling on eBay
Once you know the best items to sell on eBay for profit, it’s also important to now about the best practices for selling on eBay. Things to be aware of as an eBay seller are how to price your items on eBay to make sure you have the best price range.
Some other tips for selling items on eBay are:
- Have a Good eBay Seller Rating
- An eBay seller rating is a number that tells you how trustworthy and reliable the person selling on eBay has been. You want to make sure your feedback score is at least 98% or else people won’t trust you as an eBay seller.
- Pay for Top Position in Searches with Google Ads
- One way to get more attention from potential buyers is by paying top position of searches using google ads.
- Use Social Media Platforms Effectively
- Social media platforms are great places where you can connect with customers who may be interested in what it is that you’re selling on eBay. Make use of Facebook, Instagram etc., but don’t spam social media posts about items being sold on eBay!
- List Highest-Profit Items in eBay Catalog
- When listing your items on eBay, be sure to list the highest-profit products first. Not all potential buyers are looking for a bargain and these people may see your listings before they find something else more in their price range.
- Pass on Shipping Discounts to Customers
- Shipping is one of the most costly expenses when selling an item on eBay, so it’s good practice to offer shipping discounts if you’re using DHL express mail for example. Other shipping vendors offer discounts as well so be sure to see which one will give your customers the most bang for their shipping buck.
- Use High-Resolution Images
- It’s important to upload high-resolution images of your product so that the buyer can see as much detail as possible.
Sell on eBay and Make Money
Knowing the best things to sell on eBay for profit is vital if you are trying to make a living selling on eBay. The best selling items on eBay for profit are the items that other sellers don’t want to compete with and buyers can’t resist. an eBay business is a great way to make money with PayPal if you choose as well.
There are some items that you will need in order to start selling on eBay such as scales, boxes, packing materials, etc. These items are not expensive and will last a long time if cared for properly. Yes, I don’t want to work in an office, but selling on eBay has been a great way to earn.
By focusing on selling high-profit items (gaming consoles, cameras, garden, shoes, jewelry) and following eBay best practices, you will be able to make a living in no time off of your eBay sales.